2018 Winter Commencement Ceremony
http://pr.sookmyung.ac.kr/bbs/sookmyungen/78/69646/artclView.do?layout=unknown

On February 25, Sookymung Women’s University held the “2018 Winter Commencement Ceremony.” Commencement ceremonies are held at different locations of the campus according to each college, where President Jungai Kang, Dean of Graduate School Myeong-seok Lee, and the deans of graduate schools and colleges attend to encourage the new beginning of the graduates. 

Commencement ceremonies for undergraduate studies were held at specific locations on the campus for each college starting from 11 a.m. This year, President Jungai Kang conveyed her congratulation and encouragement to the graduates at the College of Science commencement ceremony. President Kang said, “With the determination and wisdom to push forward one step at a time, I hope you can slowly but surely take each step toward your dreams,” and “We will be the firm stepping stone beneath your feet as your alma mater.” 

There were a total of 1,563 graduates from 10 colleges and 3 independent colleges, where the Undergraduate Dean’s Award was given to the valedictorians of each college. The honor of the Chairman’s Award, which is given to the highest valedictorian, went to Student Gyu-won Lim of the Global Cooperation Major.

One of the hot topics of this year’s graduation was the graduate who donated the proceeds from her entrepreneurship activities to the school. Based on the idea she received while studying her major, Student Chae-rin Park of the Entrepreneurship Major managed a social enterprise which aided the economic independence of local women by importing argan oil from Morocco. Graduate Park donated a total of 4 million won to the school as a development fund. She said, “Because I received so much help from the school’s Entrepreneurship Engagement Foundation during the preparation of my entrepreneurship, I wanted to return the favor to the upcoming students with the same dreams.”

At the Graduate School Commencement Ceremony which was held at 3 p.m., a total of 430 graduates received their master’s and doctorate degrees. Among them, 32 master’s graduates were awarded with the Excellent Thesis Award.